Blog Archive

Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's your world like?

What makes up your world? Friends? Family? Your job? Your lover?
Or, is it something more abstract like your imaginative thoughts, your day dreams, or picturing your life the way it should be?  Could it be a special activity like joining a race for the cure of an ailment, partying, travelling, or going to the gym?   Maybe you're not doing any of the above.  Maybe you don't give yourself 'me time' and you focus more on the lives of others...taking care of the family, going over and beyond for friends and for your boss at work?

The point of the questions above is to get you to think where you are in your life, what role you play in your life, and how much of it is dedicated to the most important person in that life--- you.

Talking to a friend about life, we came to the conclusion that some words are pointless and can really hinder a person if they give certain words power.  Two words came to mind in our discussion and they are impossible and limit (unless of course you say something like my love is limit-less!).  This ties in to the questions above because I hear people say, fairly often, it's impossible for me to do this because of  (fill in the blank).  When I hear people make statements like that, I see them dimming their light and letting their dreams and desires fade into the background. 

Granted, there are things that I'm not good at, like singing. But, I still sing in my room to my favorite songs.  It's not impossible for me to sing.  Some people may think my singing is horrible and others may join in on my mini concert.  It's not impossible for me to fly or to teleport; it's just a matter of time before someone makes a jetpack or a transporter.  It's the belief that anything is possible.  It's just a matter of time.

Think about it for a minute.  It was once 'impossible' for the internet to exist.  It was once 'impossible' for gays and lesbians to get married.  It was once 'impossible' for women to vote.  It was once 'impossible' for Blacks and Whites to dine at the same venue.  It was once 'impossible' to send a man to the moon.  It was once 'impossible' for electricity to exist.  It was once 'impossible' to communicate via telephone.  It was once 'impossible' to travel by air.  It was once 'impossible' to travel by sea.  It was once 'impossible' to copy multitudes of paper by a machine.  It was once 'impossible' for the world to be round.

All that is impossible, the ideas we have, are all just waiting for someone to break that barrier.  To make a dream a reality and to share it with the world.  It's just a matter of a person having a dream, creating a blueprint for it, and making it become a reality. It's just a matter of time.

To limit yourself is just another way of dimming your spot light.  I like supporting a good cause, but I'm not much of a runner as a result of foot injuries so I'm less likely to do a run for the cure race.  However, I'm not limiting myself by dismissing the run altogether.  I understand that running for prolong periods of time is not good for me.  Therefore, I change my way of thinking and ascertain how I can achieve the goal of, if I so chose, completing a run for the cure race.  I would do a light jog and pace myself throughout the run.  Will it take me longer to finish than most people there?  For sure!  The point is I did not say that 'I can't do it'.  Simply put, there is a different way for me to accomplished my goal.  Thus, I broke through the thoughts of being 'limited' by an injury. 

It's about your mindset, understanding that there are many ways to do things, not comparing yourself to other people because it's your world, and that any goal accomplished is a big deal.

So, when you think about what makes up your world.  Make sure you make time for yourself, your ideas, and that people support you the way that you support them.  If they don't encourage you or at least entertain your thoughts, then they probably don't have your best interest at heart.  Really think about how much of a role you play in your own life and live your life to the fullest.  Don't use reactive words like 'impossible' and 'limit'.  Use proactive words like 'I can' and 'it's possible', that will bring more pleasure into your life.

Remember some things take time to come into full form.  So, don't give up on your ideas.  Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard and created Microsoft in his garage.  Steve Jobs sold his minivan so he could purchase the equipment he need to experiment with computers.  Brad Pitt quit school just credits shy of graduating to become an actor.  Jay Z was 27 years old when he released his album Reasonable Doubt. 

Don't give up on your dreams.  Make sure you play an active role in your life.  And, make sure there are supportive people at the ready to help because it takes more than one person to win a championship. 


No comments:

Post a Comment