Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Age is more than a number, it's a milestone

As I approach my 26th birthday, which will happen in a few hours since I was born at 12:33 am on 31 August, I have come to realize that the saying 'age ain't nothing but a number' is only partially true.  For most people, it is just another number nothing more and nothing less. 

However, turning a certain age is a big deal, such as turning 1, the sweet 16, turning 18, turning 21.  Then, there are the stepping stone ages like turning a quarter of a century, turning 30, and all the other 'decade' or 'century' birthdays.  Not to mention the even smaller stepping stone when we become a 'teenager' and  no longer a 'preteen' or when we hit 20 and are no longer a 'teenager'.   All of the above birthdays and everything in between are certifiable milestones, another notch on the belt so to speak, because we are not the same person at our current age that we were at the age of 20; and, when we were 20 we were not the same person at the age of 15 and so forth.

My point is your age is what you make it and it is significant.  It's not just a number, it's another symbol of you.  Think about it for a minute.  When you were half the age you are now, what clothes did you wear? What was your choice in music? Who were your friends?  Where did you hang out? Why did you behave the way you did back then?  I can give you a start, probably because of your age and the trends for you age group at the time.  Now, think about you now.  What type of clothes do you wear now? What is your choice in music? Who are your friends now?  Where do you hang out? Why do you behave the way you do now?  Chances are because your more mature now and have different interest.

Over my 26 year span on this Earth I have come to realize the following:
  1. Friends/lovers will come and go (not all of course).  Don't get mad at the friends/lovers you lost/don't hang out with as much.  They were your friends/lovers for the exact time you needed them.
  2. Throw away the old stuff that no longer serve you or fit the present you.  In other words, old clothes, old items, fake friends, old college text books (especially business books....there are always updates/amendments/etc), etc. 
  3. It's awesome to reminisce about that time in college/spring break/grade school/high school/ etc.  But, don't stay in that zone wishing for things to be simple or some other feeling in the past.  You need to live in this year, not last year, or 10 years ago.  Things wont ever be 'simple' or whatever the way it was in 'whatever period of your life' because you can't create the same event, with the same people, with the same everything else so move on and live your life. 
  4. Know the people in your life.  There are different friends for different things.  The quicker you realize that the less stressful your life will be.  Remember a time when there was a need to like everyone and have everyone like you? Yeah, forgetaboutit!  Know that you have work friends, best friends, friends you go to concerts with, friends you go to brunch with, friends you go to sports event with and so forth.
  5. It's okay to not be perfect.  Now, I comfortable in my own skin and if someone doesn't like me that's their problem.  One of my favorite quotes is 'what other people think about me is none of my business' by Dennis Kucinich. 
  6. I learned that if I make fun of myself I beat people to the punch so when someone tells me I'm goofy or a dork I just laugh and say 'Whateverrr.'
  7. I have four more years left to live out my so called 'wild years' haha
  8. I'm just getting started. There is still so much I want to do and will accomplish in my life.
  9. My other two favorite quotes: '"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss AND 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent' -Eleanor Roosevelt
  10. Don't expect others to treat you the way you treat them.  In other words, if you're the automatic trusting type or generally nice and some people don't return those acts of kindness don't take it personal.  It's something do to with them.
  11. It's great to listen to advice, but in the end you are the one that has to live with your decision.  I love the quote 'Don't let other people tell you what you want' -Pat Riley
    I love that quote because throughout life people will compare you to them or other people and tell you (well at least this happens to me) what you should be doing or you how should be living yada yada and what I have noticed it's moreso because they are nosy or haters or have their own insecurties and there are few that actually care. When you do get advice, make sure it's from someone who can give you unbiased advice for your highest good. 
  12. There are many overrated things in life.
  13. A great book to read is How to influence people and make friends by Dale Carnegie.
  14. Having great friends makes the most simple outings amazing.
  15. I'm just different lol
Although I'm having a birthday dinner with my family in a relaxing environment, becoming 26 is a big deal for me because it's another year in which I have successfully lived my life.  It's my fiscal year (I assure you I'm not in the red! ).  I have amazing family and friends.  A great job. A great business I just started.  I go to amazing places and do amazing things. And, I'm just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment